1869

Post Office (a sub-office of Kingower) established at Berlin, under the charge of Mr H. J. Williams. 15th Feb 1869. Salary £10

Inland Mail Service, 6 days a week by Vehicle.

http://www.parliament.vic.gov.au/papers/govpub/VPARL1870No16.pdf

http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/5821703

 

 

 

1875 - Proclomation of a Village

State Library of Victoria - Victoria Government Gazette

http://gazette.slv.vic.gov.au/archive/1860-1879/1875

Gazzette 86: Friday, November 26th 1875. Page 2214

 

VILLAGES PROCLAIMED.

PROCLAMATION

By His Excellency the Honourable Sir William Foster Stawell, Knight, The Chief Justice of the Colony of Victoria, and the Administrator of the Government of said Colony, &c., &c., &c.

Whereas by The Land Act 1869, it was amongst other things enacted that the Governor might from time to time by a notice in the Government Gazette proclaim as a street or road or as a town or village any portion or portions of Crown lands, and the lands in such town or village should be sold by auction in the manner therein provided for the sale of Crown lands by public auction, and the lands upon which such street or road should have been proclaimed should be deemed to be thenceforward dedicated to the public: Now therefore I, the Administrator of the Government of Victoria, with the advice of the Executive Council, do by this notice proclaim as villages the portion of Crown lands hereinafter respectively described, viz.:-

Village of Rheola (formerly known as “Berlin”). – County of Gladstone, parishes of Kangderaar and Kingower; Commencing at a point bearing south one chain from south-west of allotment 17 of section 2, parish of Kangderaar; bounded thence by a road bearing east to the Kangderaar Creek; thence by that creek downwards to the south-eastern side of the road from Dunolly to Kingower; thence by that road and a line bearing N.45degE. to allotment 1 of section 2, parish of Kingower; thence by that allotment bearing S.5deg7’W. to the south-western angle thereof; thence by a line bearing south to allotment 5; thence by that allotment and a line bearing west to a point bearing south from the point of commencement; and thence by a ling bearing north to the point of commencement – (K.1.) (75.U.26929.)

Given under my Hand and the Seal of the Colony, at Melbourne, this twenty second day of November, in the year of our Lord One thousand eight hundred and seventy-five, and in the thirty-ninth year of Her Majesty’s reign.  William F. Stawell

By His Excellency’s Command.

D. Gillies,

Commissioner of the Crown Lands and Survey, and President of the Board of Land and Works.

God Save the Queen!

 

Announcement of Village of Cohuna and Village of Kyabram were also proclaimed, on this date, within this Victoria Government Gazette

 

 

1911 - April - Bendigo Advertiser Newspaper Article

LARGEST APPLE - The largest apple ever known, which was grown by Mr. W. Poynton, at Rheola, near Inglewood, is on view at Mr. C. Baggaley's shop in Mitchell street. The apple weighs 31oz., and measures 18½in. in circumference. It is intended to send it to Melbourne to permit of the Department of Agriculture make a model of it.

http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/89842294

Apple type: Monroe’s Favourite

C. A. Baggaley Fruiterer and Confectioner, Bath Corner Mitchell Street, Bendigo

 

PRODIGIOUS QUINCE. - http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/89841335

Apple - http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/152368558

RHEOLA DISTRICT; ITS POSSIBLE AS A FRUIT GROWING AND WINE DISTRICT - http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/89848782

 

 

 

 

1912 - Rheola Hospital Sports

 

Trove - National Library of Australia

The Bendigo Advertiser – Wednesday 10th April 1912
http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/89905557#pstart9221020

 

RHEOLA HOSPITAL SPORTS.

Inglewood, 9th April 1912.

The annual races and sports in aid of the Inglewood and Dunolly hospitals were held at Rheola yesterday. Notwithstanding the uncertainty 0f the weather conditions in the early morning the attendance was good but it did not come up to the record gathering of last year. The various officials attended to their respective duties in a thoroughly efficient manner, the result being that, everything passed off satisfactorily. Results: —

Boys’ Race — J. Dowling, 1 . K. Watts, 2.

Girls' Race — A. Fawcett and Dora Hargreaves tied for first place.

Handicap Trial Slakes, half a mile.—G.Leech's Larry. 1; Quintrell's Myrtle, 2; Brownbill's Little Jim, 3.

Rheola Handicap Wheel Race, two miles— P Dewhurst, 240 yds., 1; Woodfield, 200yds., 2.

Maiden Trot, one mile and a half.—T.Stevenson's Mona, 1; M. Hayes's King, 2;W. Simons's Melba, 3.

Sheffield Handicap, 130 yards.—B. Parker, 14 yds., 1; Jenkins, 15 yds., 2; Mar-shall. 16 yds.. 3.

Handicap Horse Race.—Leech's Larry,12.0, 1 : Brownbill's Royalty, 8.7, 2. Quintiell's Myrtle also started, but bolted off the course, and threw her rider, W. Moore, who, however, escaped with a severe slaking.

Handicap Foot Race, 220 yards.—D.Donaldson, 23 yds . 1: Marshall, 26 yds,.2: Marchesi, 24 yds.. 3.

Time Handicap Trot, two miles.—W.Stevenson's Kitty, scr., 1: T Stevenson's Mona. 10 sec. bhd., 2; M. Hayes's King, 5sec. bhd., 3.

Sheaf throwing.—L. Collins, 1; O'Neill, 2

Throwing Weight. — O'Neill, Wehla,13ft. 8in., 1; G. Brett, 13ft. 6iu., 2.

 

 

1947 - First trees were planted for the Soldiers' Memorial Plantation oppisite the School

 2014 rheola memorial cairn

 

 

2013 - Around Rheola

Picture of Rheola Hall and Memorial Gate

phoca thumb l rheola hall 01

 

2015 - 145th Rheola Charity Carnival

http://www.rheola.com/component/phocagallery/category/5

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCVcyAPOleCFr0YR5shZ2bUQ/videos

 

2015 November - 

Rheola Rural Fire Brigade, 75th Anniversary and the arrival of the newest Fire Truck.

phoca thumb l 2015-11 rheolas new fire truck

Rheola Cemetery

In 1872 five acres was reserved for cemetery purposes and was opened on July 12th. Prior to the opening of the Berlin Cemetery, burials took place at Kingower.

Parish: Kingower

phoca thumb l rheola cementry 02

 Rheola Cementry 2014

phoca thumb l rheola cementry 03

Rheola Cementry 2014

Further information at Australian Cemeteries website (http://www.australiancemeteries.com/vic/loddon/rheola.htm) and Carol's Headstone Photographs (http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~ausvsac/Rheola.htm).

refencing 1854?? http://docs.health.vic.gov.au/docs/doc/1CF154A84FFA54BFCA257D7A0014C5B7/$FILE/In%20Memoriam%20FINAL%20OCT%202014-s.pdf

 

Memorials Around Rheola

1946 the Rheola School was granted permission to create a Soldiers Memorial Plantation opposite the school. 1968 a granite memorial cairn was created.

July 3, 1951. Decision to erect a Memorial Gate at the front of the Rheola Hall.

phoca thumb l rheola memorial 01

Memorial Gate located in front of the Rheola Hall

 

phoca thumb l rheola memorial 02

 

 

 Rheola Granite Memorial Cairns

 Granite Memorial Cairn (Photo taken 2014)

The Granite Memorial Cairn was unveiled in 1968 by Mr R S King, Federal Member for Wimmera.  Located in the Rheola School Soldiers Memorial Plantation opposite the old Rheola School site. (West side of Rheola on the Dunolly-Wedderburn Road)

Plaque read: Erected In Honour Of Those Who Served In 1914-18 and 1939-45 Wars

 

http://www.msk.id.au/memorials2/pages/30076.htm

http://www.msk.id.au/memorials2/pages/30077.htm

 

 Information from "History of Rheola" by Ronald Leslie Carless

 

 

 

Rheola Hall Is Turning 100phoca thumb l 2014 rheola hall 04 back

We welcome you all to join us for an afternoon tea to help celebrate this monumental milestone in the local history.

The day will be celebrated with the presentation of the official 100 years plaque and certificates to the current committee members,  in acknowledgement of their contribution to the local comunity.

We will be celebrating this day on: Sunday 26th February, starting at 2pm for the offical ceremony followed by afternoon tea.

Everyone is welcome to attend.

For further information or if you have any stories, photos or information you would like to share with us about the hall, contact the hall secretary on: 0438 605 838 or email rheolapublichall@hotmail.com

 

 

Rheola Hall & Pioneers Memoral Park

A concert and ball was held to celebrate the opening of Rheola Hall on 13th of December 1916.

In the following year new lighting was installed in the Hall.

1919 and additional room was built at the back of the hall and in 1921 tennis courts were built on the hall grounds.  1936 the supper room was extended.

January 1958 a ball was held at the Hall to celebrate the supply of power to Rheola from the State Electricity Commision.

The Mechanics' Institute building was dismanted during March 1920, some material was used for the Hall ante-room.

Memorial Gate located at the front of the Hall with granite post and lintel.  Design includes rising sun badge and words "Lest We Forget 1914-1918, 1939-1945".  Work and Design carried out by George Ferries of Castlemaine.

Information from "History of Rheola" by Ronald Leslie Carless

Location of the yearly Charity Carnival

 Opening Night write up: http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/129679304

 Mr Achilles Gray, Memeber for Avoca was at the opening

Rheola Recreation Reserve move to new location. http://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/189370074 

 

 

Rheola Public Hall Turning 100 - 1916 to 2016

26th of February 2017 celebrated the for the 100 years of Rheola Public Hall

Councilor Geoff Curnow, Margaret Allan (DELWP Regional Director) and Louise Staley (Parliamentary Member for Ripon) provided speechs and a plaque celebrating the 100 years was unveiled.

Photos from 'Rheola Hall Is Turning 100' can be viewed here

 phoca thumb m 2017 Rheola Hall 100 front1 phoca thumb m 2017 Rheola Hall 100 p4 phoca thumb s 2017 Rheola Hall 100 plaque phoca thumb m 2017 Rheola Hall 100 speech4 phoca thumb m 2017 Rheola Hall 100 tea1

 

 

Rheola Hall Front 2014 Rheola Hall Front (2014)

 

phoca thumb l 2014 rheola hall 04 back

Rheola Hall Back (2014)

 

 phoca thumb l 2015 rheola hall inside 01.jpg

Inside the Rheola Hall (looking towards stage. 2015)

 

phoca thumb l 2015 rheola hall inside 03.jpg

Inside Rheola Hall (from stage looking towards front entrance, 2015)

 

phoca thumb l 2015 rheola hall inside 02.jpg

Kitchen at Rheola Hall (2015)

 

2014 rheola hall 05 reserve

Rheola Recreation Reserve, site of the Rheola Charity Carnival. Woodchops to the left, middle Footraces, Tractor Pull back right (2014)

 

phoca thumb l 2015 rheola recreation reserve 

From the Rheola Recreation Reserve looking towards the back of the Rheola Hall. Thanks to Dukeosaurs for the photo. (Oct 2015)

 phoca thumb l 2016 drone hall front 02

Front of Rheola Hall from a Drone. Thanks to 'Barefoot Perspective' for the photo. (2016)

phoca thumb l 2016 drone hall front 01

Rheola Hall from a Drone. Thanks to 'Barefoot Perspective' for the photo. (2016)

http://www.victorianplaces.com.au/rheola 

 

First House

The first house to be built in Rheola, is believed to have been W. Tyler's "Halfway House", which was erected on what was known as Tyler's Flat, near the present Rheola Hall.

The building was so named because it was approximately half way between Dunolly and Inglewood and was a changing stage for Cobb and Co. coaches.

This building existed before the gold rush in 1869. reference to Jan 1962 (Races)

Information from "History of Rheola" by Ronald Leslie Carless

~need date~

April 1863 - http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/87935765

http://gazette.slv.vic.gov.au/images/1856/V/general/163.pdf
Victoria Government Gazette
No 163. Tuesday, December 23. 1856
Page 11
William Tyler
Halfway House Kingower
5th December 1856

 

 

Post Office

On the 15th inst, a post office (to be a sub-office to Kingower) will be established at Berlin, under the charge of Mr H. J. Williams.
Mails will close at this office dally (Sundays excepted), at 6.30 p.m.
Return mails will be due at Melbourne daily (Sundays excepted), at 11.18 p.m. 
(Signed) H, P. BANCE.
General Post Office, Melbourne,
February 8, 1869.

http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/5821703

 

1870 - Berlin ... Postmaster: H. J. Williams ... Salary: £50 (http://www.parliament.vic.gov.au/papers/govpub/VPARL1871No12.pdf Page33)

1871 Postmaster: H. J. Williams, Salary: £55

1873 Postmaster: Robert Nation Williams, Salary: £45

http://www.parliament.vic.gov.au/papers/govpub/VPARL1872No15.pdf

http://www.parliament.vic.gov.au/papers/govpub/VPARL1874No13.pdf

 

Renamed Rheola Post Office in November 1876

Robert Soulsby was the Postmaster from 1890 to 1924. Came from Waanyarra (to the south) and spend his boyhood at "Secret Hill". Died age 70 years, 26th May 1931.  http://www.waanyarra.com/all-about-waanyarra/

Closed on 19 June 1974

~more info http://trove.nla.gov.au/version/176032132

Telephone facilities were fisrt provided at Rheola in 1922. Info from "History of Rheola" by Ronald Leslie Carless 

 

 

Police

BERLIN POLICE STATION. Maryborough District. Has been formed. 29 July 1873 p.196. Name changed to Rheola (now in North Western District). 27 November 1889 p.386. Victoria Police Gazette.

http://helendoxfordharris.com.au/archives/category/vicindexes/vic_police

 

The police reserve was situated near the Kangderaar Creek, west of the Rheola Cemetery.

Info from "History of Rheola" by Ronald Leslie Carless

 

1916, 14th March. Constable Hickey, who for some considerable time has been stationed at Rheola, has been transferred to Malmsbury. It is understood the Rheola police station will be closed.

http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/91381336

 The Bendigo Advertiser - Wed 15th March 1916 - http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/89945129

 

People 

South Australia Leader of Labor (1918 to 1924) and 29th Premier of South Australia (1924 to 1926), John Gunn was born in Rheola 16th December 1884 (died in 1959).

 

School

Mrs Jonathan Leach had a private school in Rheola before the state school opened. She was a teacher in Scotland before coming to Rheola. Her husband was a policeman. Info from William Leach letter (see below)

 

Rheola State School (renamed from Berlin in 1876)

Opened: January 1871

School No: 1059

Wooden building with iron roof contain two rooms, (30feet by 18feet and 18feet by 18feet). Entrances at each end.

In 1873 reports indicated 197 enrolments, 94 boys and 103 girls. Average attendance for the year was 67 students.  Average attendance for the following year, 1874, was 112.

With the change of the town name in1876 the school also named changed from 'Berlin' to 'Rheola'.

Purchase of school residence. Four rooms, store room and kitchen, 1880.

In 1908 a gold nugget was found while block holes were being dug for a shelter shed.

In 1946 the school was granted permessiont to establish a Soldiers Memorial Plantation on the roadside opposite the school. Plantation was extened in 1949 and 1950.

Location: Dunolly-Wedderburn Road

Closed: 19th December 1978

School and School House is now part of private residents.

Rheola School Last Day 1978

Letter from William Leach in June of 1969 to his niece Mary-Anne Soulsby with his knowledge about Rheola State School. View HERE (pdf file)

 

Additional links:

http://dunolly.blogspot.com.au/2011_10_01_archive.html

http://archiver.rootsweb.ancestry.com/th/read/AUS-VIC/2004-11/1101357371

http://familytreemaker.genealogy.com/users/m/c/d/Ewan-J-Mc-donnell-1/WEBSITE-0001/UHP-0002.html

 Some information from "History of Rheola" by Ronald Leslie Carless

 

Tanks

For many year ex-Army tanks sat beside the road in in Rheola and were a draw card for many passing travellers. There were 3 tanks in total. One located in the paddock and two on the roadside beside the Dunolly-Wedderburn Road near the former Catholic Church and the site of Greaves Butcher Shop.(leading North-West out of Rheola).

The Robertson’s brothers worked together after war WW2 and had purchased the decommissioned army tanks, converted them into bulldozers sometime in the 1950’s, this included building the bulldozer blades. The dozers were used for clearing the land and building dams, at the time they were much faster and cheaper than using horses. Tank model that the Robertson used were the Matilda, Stuart and the Grant.

The tanks were removed around 1990, Mick Reeves helped remove some of them from the site. Some of the tanks were moved to Murrayville to Peter Peers tank collection.

phoca thumb l 1985 raypeace rheola tanks

 Picture is from Ray Peace (with permission) during one of his bicycle riding visits in 1985.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/126276493@N04/23165181590/

 

Butchers building:  The last known butcher in Rheola was run by the Greaves family.  In 2014 there is no longer any remnants of the building.

 

 

Culvert at Rheola

 

“Culvert near Rheola is the most sophisticated, decorative and intact example of its type known to the National Trust”
With granite abutments and wing walls, timber deck. Believed to have been built during the gold rush era of 1870s for mail-coach route linking Inglewood with Rheola.

More information at Heritage Council of Victoria, Victorian Heritage Database: http://vhd.heritagecouncil.vic.gov.au/places/68781

 Photos taken July 2015

 

Opening of 9 feet high and five feet wide. Granite used in its construction was obtained from a small quarry one mile east of Rheola. 

The bridge near Rheola Hall also had granite foundations but when the bridge was widened the stone sides were removed.

Information from "History of Rheola" by Ronald Leslie Carless

 

http://trove.nla.gov.au/work/167552514?q=rheola&c=picture&versionId=182614722

rheola bridge1  rheola bridge2

 Pictures are from John T. Collins Collection, La Trobe Picture Collection, State Library of Victoria

http://handle.slv.vic.gov.au/10381/236744

 

 

Clubs and Sports

Fire Brigade

Rheola Bush Fire Brigade was formed in December 1939

First fire fighting unit (truck) received from the CFA (Country Fire Authority) in July 1950, Austin tanker.

Current fire fighting trucks and sheds are located at the southern entrance to the Rheola township.

phoca thumb l 2015-11 rheola fire trucks 2015 Rheola Fire Brigade, 75th Anniversary and the displaying of the newest truck.

 

Tennis

 

From the Book: History of Rheola 1870 – 1970
By Ronald Leslie Carless
Page 57

 

TENNIS AT RHEOLA:

Tennis has been an active sport in Rheola for at least 60 years. About 1904, the first court was built in Chapel Gully. Some of the original members of the first tennis club were Mr. B. Ambrose, Mr. E. Coates, Constable Kennedy, Mr. H. Soulsby, Mrs W. Hargreaves, Misses M. McPherson, L. Kennedy and Dora Hargreaves.

Mr. Arthur Hargreaves, a son of Mrs W. Hargreaves, later umpired Davis Cup matches at Kooyong.
On October 1, 1921 the Rheola Public Hall Committee granted the tennis club permission to build tennis courts in the hall grounds.
About 1926, when Rheola had an active team, the club joined the Tarnagulla District Tennis Association.
On September 30, 1933 the tennis club again sought permission to erect a tennis court on the hall site. Accurate reports of the club’s progress date back to 1933, when Mr. A. Morse and Mr. J. Roberts were elected President and Secretary, respectively. During 1937, the club had to pay 10/- for the use of the hall supper room and crockery.
The war caused the club to disband, but it was reformed in 1945, when Mr. H. Poynton was elected President and Mr. J. E. Roberts, Secretary. Later Mr. G. Catto took over the secretaryship.
Four premierships were won in the Arnold Tennis Association. In 1952, two teams were formed, play taking place in Inglewood, as well as the Arnold Association. More premiership trophies and pennants were added to the club honours in the 1950’s.
As the Inglewood Association changed all it play to grass courts, the existing courts near the Rheola Hall are now used for practice by junior members and the Easter Carnival Tournament.
During November, 1960, the Tennis Club was given a ten year lease of the two courts located on the hall property.

Tennis Courts and Rheola Hall Tennis Courts next to Rheola Hall

Tennis Courts next to the Rheola Hall (Photo 2014)

 

Mervyn Mason was both a player and captain of the Rheola Tennis Club for many years.

 

Cricket

First records of Rheola Cricket Club was in 1930.

1931 permission was give to build a concrete pitch by the Trustees of the Recreation Reserve.

1939 club was disbanded.  Cricket materials was left in the care of Mr William Hargreaves

1870 cricket match was played between Berlin and Dunolly

11th December 1934, Tarnagulla Cricket Club vs Rheola Cricket Club http://www.tarnagulla.org/dgindex/sporting/CRICKET%20CLUB.TXT

 

Football

Colours - Green and Gold

In 1939, the league in which Rheola was successful was formed.

May 1939 - Dunolly vs Rheola http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/12132950

During war years the football league was disbanded. Loddon Valley League was reformed in 1944

http://pandora.nla.gov.au/pan/34349/20070521-0000/www.footypedia.com/T0001299.html

http://pandora.nla.gov.au/pan/34349/20030911-0000/www.footypedia.com/00001299.htm

 

Inglewood Advertiser, 19th May 1914, Tarnagulla vs Rheola

http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/121038245

 

Rifle Club

??

Rheola District Servicemens's Club

Formed 24th June 1946.

Serveral Social balls were held and in 1947 a christmas ball was held.

The Club was wound up 20th Sept 1965

 
Churches
phoca thumb l rheola church 01
St John the Baptist Anglican Church
Church of England

Rev William Hall built seven churches in the goldfields regions: at Glenalbyn (1861), St Arnaud (1864), Moliagul (1865), Wedderburn (1866), Bealiba (1869), Rheola (1870) and at Kingower (1871). All of these were simple structures designed by Hall, and are of no great architectural significance. They all have local historical significance as the first Anglican churches in the towns in which they were built, and for their association with the Rev William Hall. (Victorian Heritage Register, FILE NO: 12/004281)

 
 phoca thumb l rheola church 02
Roman Catholic Church
Roman Catholic Church of Sacred Heart was opened on Sunday October 6th 1901.
Regular fortnighly Masses ceased in 1956. In 1969 the altar and seats were transferred to St. Mary's Church, in Inglewood.
Info from "History of Rheola" by Ronald Leslie Carless
 
 

Shops and Hotels

Hotels

Wayman's Hotel - Closed 1930

Jurgensen's Hotel

R. Soulsby's Hotel

Solomon's Store and Miners' Arms Hotel

Hotel Tyler's

Webb's Royal Hotel (location of Cobb and Co coaches arrivals and departures)

Post Office Hotel

 

Stores

P. S. Jurgensens's Store 

http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/88956800, August 1895

http://www.ancientfaces.com/person/simon-peter-jurgensen/142124884

 

 

Map

Victoria - Berlin Gold Field  c.1900

http://www.antiqueprints.com.au/category/category/antique-maps/australia-pacific/victorian-geological-maps

 

 

Naming History 
Alexander Celland, discover of the Berlin Goldfield, was born in Scotland. Possibly wanted the area where he found the gold to be called Bervie (his birthplace in Scotland) or Inverbervie (after a small seaport on the coast of Kincardineshire)


As is common at the time, many different spellings of the name exist:
Burling Rush
Berlin Rush
Berlin Flat
Berlin Goldfield
Berlin Diggings
Burrlyn
Byrr-lyn
Berleen
Burling
Berlin

 

Many of the inconsistancy are blamed on mining registrar error and corruptions of the name.
In 1876 the local parliamentary representative Mr B. J. Davies, Member of Avoca, took the suggested name of; Rheola; from Mr W. Johns (during a meeting in Inglewood). The name Rheola has Welsh origins.

 

 

To Expand: 

Articles onRheolaHistory

 

Historic Sites Around Rheola
http://www.depi.vic.gov.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0007/270718/Dunolly_Inglewood_SF_MapA3.pdf

Info On Rheolas History

1957 SEC power would soon be available inRheola

 

Rheola Ladies' Benevolent Society 1901 ~further information required

http://www.parliament.vic.gov.au/vufind/Search/Results?lookfor=%22Rheola+Ladies%27+Benevolent+Society%22&type=Subject

 

Rheola Hill

also known as Tylers Hill

Located to the West of the Rheola township

Rheola Hill Historic Area
1215 Dunnolly-wedderburn Road Rheola
http://parkweb.vic.gov.au/explore/parks/rheola-hill-h.a.

Rheola Hill Historic Reserve

http://www.depi.vic.gov.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0007/270718/Dunolly_Inglewood_SF_MapA3.pdf

Water Supply?

http://www.gazette.vic.gov.au/gazette/Gazettes2007/GG2007G024.pdf 

2007

 

 

Fortunate Gully
Clelland Gully
Gilmours Gully Diggings
Cattos Upper Paddock
Berlin Flat
Langham's Flat Diggings
Rheola Hill Historic Reserve
Chapel Gully
Tyers Flat Diggins
Christmas Flat Digging
Humbug Hills/Hard Hills Diggings
https://www.onmydoorstep.com.au/at/3517/rheola

 

Lingham's Flat

 test

Many of the historical information, facts, notes and dates for the  rheola .com website has come from the book "History of Rheola" complied by Ronald Leslie Carless,  published by Back To Rheola Committee

Gold Nuggets have been found in the Rheola region since the second half of the 19th centurey

 

Named gold nuggets include:

Viscount Canterbury was found on the 31st May and Viscountess Canterbury found on the 3rd October of 1870 (some locations list 1871 and 1869 as the year). Both were discovered in John's paddock. National Library of Australia has picture of Viscountess Canterbury http://catalogue.nla.gov.au/Record/4654765 and the Viscount Canterbury http://nla.gov.au/nla.pic-vn4654766

Precious found on 5th January 1871. Disovered in Catto's paddock at ta depth of 12 feet. Named after 'Precious C Williams' who first owned the land the nugget was discovered on. Picture of model of the Preciouse at the Powerhouse Museum http://www.powerhousemuseum.com/collection/database/?irn=133

Kum Tow (sometimes called Kum Fow and Rum Ton) discovered by Loo Ching and party 12.5 feet below the surface in Catto's paddock, April 17th  1871. Museum Victoria picture of a plaster replica http://museumvictoria.com.au/learning-federation/gold-nugget-replicas/gold-nuggets9/

The Needful found on May 10th 1871. Discovered in Catto's paddock, 12 feet below surface. National Library of Australia picture http://nla.gov.au/nla.pic-vn4654768

The Crescent found on 2nd April 1872. Discovered 2 feet below the surface. Picture of model of the Cresent nugget at the Powerhouse Museum http://www.powerhousemuseum.com/collection/database/?irn=364353

The McEvoy (or McEnvoy) found in 1857/1858 by Nicholas McAvoy and Walter Palmer

http://www.dpcd.vic.gov.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0018/44541/KorongRegion.pdf

Unnamed Nuggets:

On November nth 1970, at Mclntyre diggings, only a few inches from the surface, weighing 452 oz 

on 12th March 1869, a nugget weighing 893 oz. was found by Patrick and James Hoare. At a depth of 20 feet on Langham Flat.

On May 8th 1872 a nugget weighing 477 oz. was got in the same locality as the Crescent, at a depth of 9 feet.

Rheola is part of the golden triangle

1894, Mr William Gunn found a 16lb gold nugget in 'Uncle Tom's Gully'. Sold on the 26th of July to the Bank of New South Wales for the price of £4 2s per ounce. Mr Gunn had been prospecting in the area for 24 years.

http://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/88931967
http://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/9329248

http://www.golderandwiser.com/?q=node/16

http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/7256966 

 

Finding the Viscount Canterbury

 

Hand painted coloured photograph.  State Library of New South Wales

http://acms.sl.nsw.gov.au//item/itemLarge.aspx?itemID=861126

http://acms.sl.nsw.gov.au/item/itemLarge.aspx?itemID=861770

http://followingfadedfootprints.blogspot.com.au/2009/06/solomon-schlossman-hawker-miner.html 

 

 

 

 

The Argus, Saturday 16th August 1913

List the top 22 gold nuggets Victoria, with Rheola apearing 5 times

Precious, 1871

Viscount Canterbury, 1870

Viscountess Canterbury, 1870

Heron, No Date

Kum Tow 1871

 

2001-gold-monument

Rheola 150 Gold

Unveiled on 17. 10. 2001

To mark the 150th anniversary of the first gold find in Victoria.

In this Rheola (formerly Berlin) District twenty alluvial gold

nuggets exceeding 450 ounces were unearthed.

This was one third of all the nuggets

larger then this size officially recorded in Victoria

 

They include:

Name Weight Year Found

The Precious

Viscount Canterbury

Viscountess Canterbury 

The McEvoy

The Kum Tow

1621 ozs 

1114 ozs

912 ozs

810 ozs

796 ozs

1871

1870

1870

1857

1871

 

Prospecting

http://www.energyandresources.vic.gov.au/earth-resources/recreational-prospecting-and-fossicking 

 

Historial information, facts, notes and dates for the rheola.com website has come from the book "History of Rheola" complied by Ronald Leslie Carless, published by Back To Rheola Committee

Joomla templates by a4joomla